Rough End of Summer: Looking ahead

A lot has happened since August. There were big highs, and  very low lows. For the  first time in my skiing career, I have to really sit out, and more than just a couple days. And although things have been rough, it's easy to look ahead with a positive spirit when I have my amazing teammates around.
My hilarious teammates

The Cross Country season started off really good. The day before the season started I put in a distance ski, so when we had a 1.5 mile time trial, I expected to be a little farther back from previous times. I was pumped to tie my fastest time on that course and only be a couple seconds off the girl's course record. I continued to run and ski, along to fit lifting into my crazy schedule and by the time we raced on Thursday, our own little track meet under the lights, I still felt good and strong. I pulled off a good race, won the event by a minute and I had really pushed myself, even though I was running by myself. 
Mimi's Mile: The first track meet

The problem came after the race.I decided I wanted to put in more miles so I convinced my friend to do a lengthier cool down after the meet. We were just on the way back when I got a pretty sudden pain in the hip area, and walked back to the car. From then on it's been a lot of walking...... and there isn't really an end in sight right now. 

The first couple days I took complete rest days. The Monday after I raced in the annual Hoof & Bike a 13.5 mile half bike/running race our team always does. I was suppose to 'go easy' but once my competitive spirit got lit, I stupidly raced it. I took more days off, went easy, stepped out of race and finally after 3 weeks of not feeling better, I went to a Masseuse. After my first painful night I actually felt better and loose and decided to race two days later.
Hoof and Bike

The race went okay. I mean I felt out of shape, but that was really the only bad part of the race (I guess if you don't count the extraditing heat) . My hip felt okay, until my cool down where I started to get the pain again. The next morning I ran very easy. But it was one of the most painful 4 mile runs I've ever been on. 
Pain face on at Irish

Right now, it's really hard for me watching my teammates do the workouts without me. Not only do I miss the feeling and satisfaction of getting better, but the closeness I feel to my teammates after a hard workout, and just generally doing hard workouts. I'm going to a real doctor later this week, and getting an MRI soon, but hopefully this means I'm back on my feet again and working towards those hardy goals once again! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sprint Course Preview

2nd Race- 5k Individual Start

Mental Health